Monday, May 17, 2010

cupcake

Like most of my friends in the late '80's, when I left for college I had no idea what I wanted to be when I grew up. But I was going to an excellent state school (Go Gators!) so it really didn't matter yet. Then it was time to declare a major and still, no clue. I'd always been kind of a math geek, and even though I also liked to write I figured Business School was a good bet. But still, no clue. The one day, senior year, it hit me. I went home and told my parents that "I wanted to buy clothes with other peoples money." Yup. I think I put it just like that. And so I did.

And for many long years I worked my tail off in the world of corporate retail. Buying clothes, housewares, wall art, light fixtures, sofas and anything else they wanted me to. And I was damn good at it.
But then I quit.

Now what in the world does this have to do with cupcakes you might be thinking. Or, more likely, has this woman completely lost her mind? Well, both nothing, everything and, um, yes.

See when one of my friends asks for my opinion these days on where to buy something I get a little obsessed and the quest takes on a whole life of it's own. Like today for instance when a friend emails me, "I want to have a cupcake party but everything out there is so cheesy..." And then I spend the better portion of my evening searching for all things "cupcake" on Etsy.

But the beauty of it is, I found some good cupcakes. Some really good cupcakes. And they are not at all cheesy.

Thanks go to these lovely Etsy shops for the images and products shown above...

1. frilly t-shirt 2. set of 4 notecards 3. cupcake stand 4.printable favor tags 5.calming poster 6.sweet charm necklace (ok, I cheated a little here, this one's mine) 7.cookie jar 8.cupcake wrappers 9.ribbon barrette

Share

No comments: